Wilderness First Responder Course
Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is the definitive course in medical training for everyone from outdoor educators, guides, search and rescue team members, to families and weekend warriors who play in remote areas. The curriculum is comprehensive and practical, as students will learn all essential principles and skills required to assess and manage medical problems in isolated and extreme environments. We offer 2 options for WFR certification. Our 7 day format has been the standard option for over 20+ years. No prior work is necessary. This option is perfect if you have no prior medical experience, are new to the outdoor industry, or just want a more extensive class experience. Our 5-day format is for individuals with less time available for on-site training and only requires 25 hours of pre-course preparation. This course is fast paced focusing on the hands on skills to build on the pre-course work. The 5 day format is ideal for folks with less time and either prior medical experience or the ability to study extensively prior to the start of the course. College credit is available through the Western States Extended Studies Department.
7 day – No prior course work is necessary we will email you a study packet and mail you a text book prior to the start of the course.
5 day – This course covers the same material and meets the same criteria as the standard Wilderness First Responder course. It is designed for students and professionals with tight schedules and the self-discipline to complete approximately 25 hours of pre-course preparation.
We mail a pre-course study guide to students two to four weeks before the course starts, and mail you the text book. Students should complete the assigned reading, case studies, study guide, and tests prior to the on-site class.
On-site instruction reinforces and expands on the knowledge acquired prior to arrival. Daytime training focuses on wilderness and rescue scenarios and practical skills. Evenings are reserved for study and assignments.
Expect rescue scenarios with made-up victims and simulated wounds to prepare you for back country emergencies. Sessions may be videotaped for enhanced learning.
The Five-Day WFR course has been subject to five years of development and testing. The pilot courses have been well received and very effective. However, we do need to emphasize that conscientious preparation is essential for success. This is not a short-cut version of our standard course.
Wilderness Medical Associates International provides all teaching materials at no additional cost. The WMAI textbook, case studies workbook, field guide, lecture notes, and handouts are included. WMAI’s textbook, Wilderness and Rescue Medicine, is included in the package mailed prior to course start.
Completion and Grades
Successful completion and certification is based upon:
- 100% attendance,
- satisfactory performance on homework assignments and written quizzes,
- demonstrated proficiency with practical skills,
- a grade of 80% or higher on final written exam.
Wilderness Medic, LLC is committed to making reasonable accommodation to any student with special needs.
Eligible students who successfully complete the course will receive Wilderness Medical Associates International’s Wilderness First Responder, Anaphylaxis, and Healthcare Provider level CPR certifications. The CPR course is based on the ILCOR/AHA guidelines as published in Circulation in November 2005. All WMAI certifications remain valid for three years.
Recertification can be earned at anytime during the three years following your course, but no later than the last day of the month in which your original certificate expires. Recertification options include the 36-hour Wilderness Advanced First Aid Course, the 36-hour WAFA-to-WFR Bridge Course, the 24-hour Open Recertification Course or the 16-hour WMAI Recertification Course.
Camping is available for an additional charge in Moab.
7 Day WFRs:
70 hours on-site training over 7 days.
No pre-course work.
Perfect for students with no medical training or background.
5 Day WFRs:
25 hours Pre-Course Preparation and 45 hours On-Site Training over 5 days.
Ideal for those with past WFR or medical experience.
5 Day WFR-Durango CO: September 6-10, 2021
5 or 7 days
Client to Guide Ratio
Up to 12 students per instructor
Beginner to advanced
- Paramedic (NREMT-P) or Physicians Assistant (PA-C) as the lead instructor
- EMT or greater for assistant instructors
- All instructors are Practicing Medical Professionals, i.e., they have actual patient contact on a regular basis and are not just instructors.
Price Does Not Include
- Travel to the course site from your location
- Items of personal nature
- Individual travel costs, delays, etc.
- Excess baggage fees
- Personal clothing or gear
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks
- Hotels before, during, and after trip
- Recommended Travel/trip cancelation insurance
- Students should bring appropriate clothing for the location and time of year. Rain or shine, much of our time is spent outside. Pens and a notebook are also needed.
- Students must be at least eighteen years old to participate in the Five-Day WFR course.
- No previous medical training is required.
- General Concepts in Wilderness and Rescue Medicine
- Patient Assessment System Critical Body Systems: BLS and CPR; Anaphylaxis and Asthma
- Practical Skills: Lifting, Moving and Extrication; Spine Stabilization and Litter Packaging; Wound Cleaning and Exploration
- Environmental Topics: Exposure Control; Bites and Stings; Altitude Illness; Cold Injuries; Diving Emergencies; Thermoregulation; Lightning; Near Drowning; Avalanche
- Musculoskeletal Systems: Spine Injury Assessment; Musculoskeletal Injuries; Extremity Splinting; Dislocations
- Other: Medical Legal Issues; Soft Tissue Injury; Toxins; Search and Rescue; Backcountry Medicine; Emergency Childbirth; Medical Kits
Registration & Cancelation
- Unfortunately, due to extremely high demand we have a very strict registration and cancelation policy. We can not transfer you to an other program. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND PURCHASING TRAVEL INSURANCE! We recommend the TravelEx Insurance Travel Select plan with the Adventurer Plus Pak upgrade.
- Program fees are non-transferable. If notice of cancellation is given in writing at least 60 days prior to the course start date, you will be refunded your full deposit except for a $50 processing fee.
- If notice of cancellation is given in writing within 59 – 30 days prior to the trip start date, a cancellation fee equal to the deposit amount will be charged. If notice of cancellation is given in writing less than 30 days prior to the course start date, a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the program fee will be charged.